First Christian Church began in 1888 in East St. Louis when a group of Christians gathered in Mrs. Mary Daniels' home and decided to form a church. They dedicated their first building in 1891, and then they built a larger facility in 1910.
In 1956 a group from First Christian decided to help plant a new church in Belleville, and they constructed Hillcrest Christian Church in 1958. The members in East St. Louis decided to move and built a new church in Caseyville in 1970.
First Christian Church of Caseyville and Hillcrest Christian Church of Belleville began conversations in Fall 2000 and voted in April 2002 to merge together into one congregation to become Crossroads Christian Church. In October 2003, Hillcrest sold their building and moved to Caseyville and have blended together well.
Learn more about the history of our Disciples movement.
First church dedicated in 1891.
Since 1888 Disciples have felt called to plant new churches in the Metro-east area.